serves 4 people
- 4 x symplicity sausages
- 1/2 large onion, chopped
- 200g large carrot, diced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- 1 tsp ground cumin seeds
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tbsp tomato purée
- 50g red lentils
- 300ml good quality vegetable stock
- 100g chopped tomatoes
- 75g cooked or canned puy lentils, rinsed and drained
- 3 tsp white miso
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
- heat the oil in a large flameproof casserole dish (with a lid) over a medium-high heat.
- add the sausages and brown all over. transfer to a plate, leaving the oil in the casserole.
- add the onion, carrot, garlic and chilli flakes to the casserole dish, cover and cook gently for 10 minutes until softened and lightly golden.
- take off the lid and stir in the cumin, paprika and tomato purée, then cook for 1 minute.
- stir in the red lentils, stock, chopped tomatoes and bring to a simmer, stirring to stop the lentils sticking to the base of the casserole dish.
- cover and simmer for 40 minutes until the lentils are cooked and the sauce is thick. if the sauce looks watery, cook for a further 10 minutes with the lid off to thicken it.
- stir in the puy lentils and most of the parsley and season to taste with miso, salt and pepper. scatter over the remaining parsley.
- warm the sausages again and serve on top of the lentil casserole.